Pint of Science Australia is a national not-for-profit organisation with the goal to increase science appreciation among the Australian people. Our annual festival not only serves as a way to bridge the gap between science research and the Australian public, but also as a medium for researchers to practice science communication and for volunteers to further develop skills that can facilitate their career progression.
How to apply?
Have a read below of who we are looking for and the roles available. To express interest in volunteering with us, head over to pintofscience.com.au/eoi and tell us a little about yourself along with what roles you could be interested in.
Why volunteer with us?
We believe in the growth of others. We value the contributions from each of our volunteers and strive to give back in the forms of mentoring and professional development.
Whether you are a recent graduate looking to gain experience to strengthen your CV, a professional looking to change careers and want to put new skills into practice, a passionate individual wanting to help further science communication, or just want to volunteer for a good cause, Pint of Science is the place for you.
Who are we looking for?
Contrary to popular belief, you do NOT have to have a passion for science. We are looking for motivated and dedicated volunteers with skills to offer, a willingness to learn and a desire to collaborate with people from diverse backgrounds.
You can choose to be part of the National Team, where your commitment to Pint of Science extends beyond the annual May festival. Here, you’ll play an important role in shaping national initiatives. Interested in developing long-term strategies and improvements for Pint of Science? Then you’re the perfect fit for the National Team.
Or you can choose to be part of one of the Project Teams. In an events/project focused environment, your peak commitment period is in the months leading up to the May festival. Want to be part of a team that sees through a festival event or project from start to finish? Or maybe you’ve never volunteered before and want to try it out with a supportive organisation? Then consider volunteering for the Projects Teams.
When thinking about how you’d like to volunteer, are you a Go-getter, Facilitator or Leader?
You like to get things done! Nothing fills you with more joy than crossing off items on your to-do list, knowing that each task was done with care. You’ve got attention to detail and time management down pat. You are a good communicator and work collaboratively with others. You may only want to commit for just a few months, but rest assured, you’ll see the impact of your work right away. Your contribution directly affects the success of the annual May festival.
You are a planner and organiser, skilled at transforming ideas into action. You like working with people and encouraging your team to work to their strengths towards common goals. You are an effective communicator and comfortable working with tight deadlines and competing priorities.
You are a visionary individual, effective in communicating your ideas to others and open to new suggestions. You show initiative and inspire people around you to work towards common goals. You’re not afraid of treading unfamiliar waters, challenging situations or competing priorities, and will not shy away from asking for help.
Which roles are available?
We have a range of roles available across the National and Project Teams.
- Logistics & Merchandising
- Help get our awesome merch sent out to our audience, and facilitate any other logistics that come up. For 2021, this is likely for people based in Melbourne (as that's where our storage unit is).
- Keep the wheels turning for our remote volunteer workforce. Almost everything we do relies on good ICT - from databases, web support, internal comms, and especially for our 2021 online engagement.
- We're a GST registered not-for-profit. Help us ensure we do all the right things for the ATO, and that all our volunteers get reimbursed quickly.
- Partnership, Sponsorship, Stakeholders
- Help bring in financial support to fund our projects, such as our Artist in Residence program.
- Executive Support
- Be a part of everything! Help with internal comms, focus the team on success and create networks of support to facilitate volunteer professional development.
- Communications (Media, Social Media, Graphic Design)
- Help spread the word that PintAU is here.
- Diversity, Equity & Inclusion
- Everything we do is under the context of diversity, equity and inclusion. Everyone in our national and project teams contribute, but often it's useful to have someone making sure our unconscious bias is addressed.
- Help figure out whether we are doing what we think we are doing and if we could do it better.
Is what you’re looking for not listed here? Fill in the EOI and let us know how you’d like to volunteer!
Are presenting roles available if I am a researcher?
They sure are. Keep an eye on our social media channels for specific projects you can be a part of once we’ve built our volunteer team. If you know you’re keen, no matter what online projects we run, you can head over here now and fill in the EOI and we’ll be in touch.